Okay. I’m kind of housebound. Not entirely. But I have to be careful with ‘flu and other stuff about.
So I decided to list my five favourite singles ever. That became ten, then twenty.
Now I have fifty. (I only allowed myself one song per artist)
I doubt anyone will agree. But genuinely, the top ten are the top ten. The rest are in no particular order. Anyway, here they are with a little bit of information on each.
- Handbags and Gladrags. Written by Mike D’Abo. Best version by Chris Farlowe
- Waterloo Sunset. Written by Ray Davies. Sung by The Kinks
- I Am The Walrus. Written by Lennon and McCartney. A Beatles B side.
- All Right Now. Written by Andy Fraser and performed by Free.
- Turn Turn Turn. Written by Pete Seeger and performed by The Byrds.
- Nothing Compares To You – Written by Prince and performed by Sinead O’Connor.
- Smells Like Teen Spirit. Written by Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl and Kris Novoselic and performed by Nirvana
- Whole Lotta Love. Written by John Bonham, Willie Dixon, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant. Performed by Led Zeppelin
- All Along The Watchtower. Written by Bob Dylan. Performed by Jimi Hendrix
- Sunday Bloody Sunday. Written and performed by U2.
- Hallelujah. Written by Leonard Cohen. Performed by Jeff Buckley
- Hello Susie. Written by Roy Wood. Performed by Amen Corner.
- Astronaut. Written and performed by Liam Geddes.
- Saltwater. Written by Mark Spiro, Leslie Spire and Julian Lennon and performed by Julian Lennon.
- Vado Via. Written and performed by Drupi.
- #9 Dream. Written and performed by John Lennon.
- Darlin’ Be Home . Written by John Sebastian and performed by Lovin’ Spoonful.
Hang On SloopyWritten by Wes Farrell and Bert Berns and performed by The McCoys.
- Get It On. Written by Marc Bolan and performed by T Rex
- Since You’ve Been Gone. Written by Russ Ballard and performed by Rainbow.
- Brazil. Written and performed by Declan McKenna.
- Tenderness on the Block. Written and performed by Warren Zevon.
- You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me. Written by Vicki Wickham, Simon Napier-Bell, Pino Donnaggio and Vito Pallavincini and performed by Dusty Springfield
- She’s A Rainbow. Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards and performed by the Rolling Stones
- Fix You. Chris Martin, Jonny Buckland, Guy Berryman and Will Champion and performed by Coldplay.
- Pocketful of Rainbows. Written by Fred Wise and Ben Wiseman and performed by Elvis Presley.
- Norman and Norma .Written by Neil Hannon and performed by Divine Comedy.
- Wherever I Lay My Hat. Written by Marvin Gaye, Barrett Strong and Norman Whitfield and performed by Paul Young
- Oh Well. Written by Peter Green and performed by the original Fleetwood Mac.
- Saturday Gigs. Written by Ian Hunter and performed by Mott the Hoople
- Space Oddity. Written and performed by David Bowie.
- Wonderful World. Written by Bob Theile and George David Weiss and performed by Louis Armstrong.
- My Generation. Written by Pete Townshend and performed by The Who.
- Riders on the Storm. Written by John Densmore, Robby Kreiger, Ray Manzarek and Jim Morrison and performed by The Doors.
- Good Vibrations. Written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love and performed by The Beach Boys.
- Shapes of Things. Written by Jim McCarty, Keith Relf and Paul Samwell-Smith and performed by The Yardbirds.
- Purple Rain. Written and performed by Prince.
- Once in a Lifetime .Written by David Byrne, Brian Eno, Chris Frantz, Jerry Jarrison and Tina Weymouth. Performed by Talking Heads
- Wonderwall. Written by Noel Gallagher and performed by Oasis.
- Don’t Dream it’s Over. Written by Neil Finn and performed by Crowded House.
- Something in the Air. Written by Speedy Keen Thunderclap Newman.
- A Thrill’s a Thrill. Written and performed by Long John Baldry. The Righteous Brothers.
- That’ll Be The Day. Written by Buddy Holly, Jerry Allison and Norman Petty and performed by Buddy Holly.
- A Woman’s Heart. Written and performed by Eleanor McEvoy.
- That’s Entertainment. Written by Paul Weller and performed by The Jam.
- Carry It With You. Written and performed by Niall Connolly.
- Cello Song. Written and performed by Nick Drake.
- Slaughter on 10th Avenue. Written by Richard Rogers and performed by Mick Ronson.
- She Makes Me Laugh.Written by Rivers Cuomo and performed by the Monkees.
- Tomorrow’s Paper. Written and performed by Mick Flannery.
- Catch Me If You Can. Written and performed by Walking on Cars.
4 thoughts on “The 50 best pop and rock singles ever…according to me.”
Many great ones there, but you missed the best single ever:
What’s Goin On. Benson, Cleveland and Gaye.
Performed by Marvin Gaye.
Number 4 on Rolling Stones top 100.
Check it out.
Oh I read the Rolling Stone list…Marv missed out narrowly!
Hi Paddy, sorry to hear about the being bound.
Didn’t see Imagine, Bohemian Rhapsody, Did it my Way or I Will Survive.
Happy New Year.
[…] This is the original list of 50: https://theworldaccordingtopaddy.net/2019/12/30/the-50-best-pop-and-rock-singles-ever-according-to-m… […]